Magis | Descernment | Contemplatio Ad Amorem | Cura Personalis
Freshman Year—Information & Knowledge
Our Jesuit-Catholic identity is the cornerstone of our lives at the University of Scranton. T.A.P.E.S.T.R.Y is a four year professional development program, with the first year focusing on the "Magis" by providing you with information and knowledge in order to help you excel in academics that includes your "head, heart, and hands" in the Jesuit tradition. Please note....All requirements and activities must be completed by the end of first year.
During your Freshman Year (Magis) you will be required to complete the following:
- Freshman Book Read- Tattoos on the Heart
- September 5, 2012 at 7:00 p.m.- DeNaples Center, McIlhenny Ballroom. Freshmen Mandatory Meeting/Lecture-T.A.P.E.S.T.R.Y. will be introduced to all PCPS freshmen. Father Rick Malloy, S.J.- will lead a lecture on “Jesuit Education and Leadership in the Helping Profession”
- Service Project: “Blessing of the Books” Project –each freshman student brings in new or used books for children and writes an inscription inside for our Blessing of the Books Project to be held on December 6, 2012 at 3:30 p.m. - McGurrin Hall Lobby. Cookies and hot chocolate will be served after the blessing.
- Health and Wellness
- Pre-Exercise Health Risk Assessment-Results must be reported by 5 pm, September 7, 2012
- Waiver of Liability-Due 5pm, September 7, 2012
- Sign up for a Wellness Mentor-Due 5pm, September 7, 2012
- Academic Advising Services include
- CTLE writing center requirement-
- Group advising sessions
- Academic Service Learning: T.A.P.E.S.T.R.Y. Program
- Successful completion of specific activities for your Major
You will also be required to select one of the following lectures:
- September 17, 2012 at 6:00 p.m. - Byron Complex. Greg Boyle, S.J., Author of Tattoos on the Heart - Lecture on Homeboy Industries
- September 27, 2012-4:30 p.m. -Conference on disABILITY, DeNaples Center, McIlhenny Ballroom-Town Hall Meeting – Mr. Anthony Aquan-Assee
Your individual departments will provide additional information to you as well.
NOTE: A form will be provided for tracking purposes.
- Academic Service Learning:
Service Learning contracts are to be filled out online by September 17, 2012. Click here for more information
Service Learning timesheets are due to your instructor by December 5, 2012. Click here to obtain timesheet
Department Activities TBD: ( Links to each department activity will be added below)