Why is my class not listed?
- No class page is available if your class is not listed.
- Volunteer and become a Class Page Editor. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Class site content is maintained by both the Office of Alumni Relations and Class Page Editors.
The University yearbooks are online!
- The Weinberg Memorial Library presents a digital collection of University of Scranton Yearbooks, published between 1916 and 2007. This 74 volume collection contains almost 20,000 pages and depicts the changing student body of the University of Scranton and its predecessor, St. Thomas College.
The Aquinas Archives are online!
- The Weinberg Memorial Library presents The Aquinas online archives. Search by date, browse by subject.
Alumni Class Pages
In the beginning of this decade, classes were held in Old Main and the barracks. There was mandatory ROTC on Tuesday’s for the freshman and sophomore classes. Various university clubs sponsored social events that took place in the basement of Old Main (in the green room). Do you remember the Mission Ball or Spanish Ball? The first university dorms were built in 1958.
The end of the 1950’s and the beginning of the sixties was a time of construction. Most of the buildings used today were built during Fr. Long’s presidency. Students were thrilled that classes were no longer held in the old army surplus barracks. The end of the decade was a time of dissonance and political activism.
The enrollment was stagnant until the University started accepting women in 1972. Following the opening of many dorms in 1958, resident students made up the majority of the student body.
With buildings becoming strained and students blocking the streets, a new era of construction began in June of 1980. Linden Street was closed creating the Commons with Campion Hall, Gavigan College, Hyland, Redington, Rock Hall soon to follow.
Building construction continued. Women outnumbered men by the mid-nineties. Fr. Panuska became the longest-serving President in the University’s history (1982-1998).
These reflections are a result of the kindness and dedication of Dr. Frank X. Homer, Ph.D. ’64.