What Students Say
- Anna DiColli"Academically, Scranton has opened a lot of doors for me. I participated in research, attended a humanitarian conference involving all the Jesuit colleges and universities, created a new organization on campus and fashioned an independent study course."
- Clark Veet"My pre-medical experience was accented by meaningful service opportunities in Scranton hospitals and with the community while myriad research experiences constantly presented new and fascinating questions and solutions to some of science's greatest problems."
- Fred Fuchs"I’ve learned a great deal from my peers in the Business Leadership Honors Program. Our group of fifteen has a diversity of knowledge and experience that has led the group to become a great sounding board for all sorts of projects and ideas."
- Gina Fullam"Through SJLA Honors and the Latin American Studies Program, I found my passion for promoting human rights. The Honors Program has enabled me to really focus, and even mold, my education at Scranton."
- Kathryn Brokus"The SJLA Honors Program has forced me to view my education in a new light. Ultimately, education is not all about getting good grades, but walking away from each class knowing that you have gained something valuable."
- Taggart McGurrin"Frequent meetings with the Pre-Law Advisor allowed me to focus my efforts on law school admission. The invaluable knowledge that I have gained from the five-year BS/MBA Accounting program has provided me a strong foundation to a career in tax law."
Get the Facts
- Approximately 4,100 undergraduate students from 24 states and 12 countries
- Freshman retention rate: 88%
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 12:1
- Average class size: 20
- 88% of freshmen live on campus
- For the 2012-2013 academic year, the average freshman aid package, exclusive of parent loans was $25,338
Scranton students have a passion for learning. They connect with faculty, alumni, the community and each other, becoming better students in the process. Take a look at some of the programs that allow our students to excel at Scranton and after graduation.
SJLA Honors students fulfill their general education credits in a community atmosphere that encourages excellence and service to others. Fifty to 60 of the most able freshmen are selected each year for this four-year program.
Honors students take seminars together and work one-on-one with professors in tutorials. The program culminates with a senior creative or research project. Forty to 50 of our most able freshmen are accepted each spring, and the program is open to all majors.
Business Leadership Honors students explore concepts of leadership through special seminars and courses in management, ethics, strategy and analysis. Open to all majors, this highly selective program accepts 15 sophomores each spring.
The Faculty/Student Research Program (FSRP) gives you an opportunity to be involved in faculty research in fields as diverse as the natural sciences, humanities, social sciences and business. The outcomes of these collaborations make their way into prestigious journals or presentations at national conferences.
Our students participate in more than 30 clubs related to academic majors or programs. In addition, we recognize the achievement of our students through membership in one of more than 30 national honor societies representing a range of academic disciplines.
On average, more than 200 Scranton students study abroad each year. The most popular destinations are Australia, England, Ireland, Italy, Mexico and Spain.
In the last 10 years, Scranton students earned five Truman Scholarships and 10 Goldwater Scholarships. Since 1972, 139 graduates of The University of Scranton have earned a Fulbright or other international fellowship award to support a year of study outside of the United States.
In the past two years, Scranton students have completed internships for credit at 380 organizations in 12 states. Students participate in both credit and non-credit internship experiences. The Office of Career Services provides assistance to students looking to secure internship placements in Northeastern Pennsylvania and across the nation.