Call Scranton Police Department (911) or University of Scranton Police Department (570-941-7777) if there is an emergency.
- Lock all interior and exterior doors or other entrances to your residence.
- Never prop doors or leave keys hidden under mats, above the door or near any entrance.
- When leaving for an extended time period, set lights or a radio to an automatic timer to give the appearance that someone is home.
- Record serial numbers of valuable items and keep the list in a secured location. This will help identify your lost or stolen goods.
- Close window shades at night and make sure windows are locked at all times.
- Make sure your landlord provides lighting above exterior doors, driveways and backyards.
- Have a peep hole, a chain lock, or a slide bar on your front door.
- Have only your house number on your mailbox, not your name.
- Know the location of smoke alarms and fire extinguishers and make sure they are properly maintained. Do not rent an apartment that does not have proper fire exits/escapes
- Never use a basement or attic for a bedroom without a proper fire escape.
- While walking off-campus use well-lit sidewalks and avoid alleyways or poorly lit streets.
- Do not travel alone late at night, walk in groups or use the Royal Ride provided by Campus Safety on weekends.
- Be alert to your surroundings and know the locations of the Emergency Blue Lights.
- Program emergency contacts into your cell phone, such as University of Scranton Police Emergency Line (570-941-7777)
- Exercise caution while using headphone or talking on the phone while walking off-campus. Distractions such as these make you less aware of your surroundings and make you more vulnerable to accidents or to being victimized.