Honoring the Bishops of Scranton, Church and the Jesuits: The Campus
Byron Recreation ComplexDedicated in 1986, the Byron Recreation Complex is named for Rev. William J. Byron, S.J., president of the University from 1975 to 1982. A national expert on business ethics, Fr. Byron left Scranton to serve as president of the Catholic University of America. The Byron Complex houses the University’s intramural gymnasium facilities, pool and athletic offices.
Campion HallCampion Hall, the Scranton Jesuit residence, is named in
honor of the 17th-century English martyr St. Edmund Campion. He was
recognized as a brilliant scholar and orator who was tortured and
murdered for his defense of the Roman Catholic Church and the Catholic
priesthood during the English persecutions. The building is home to the
Jesuit Community of Scranton who serve The University of Scran¬ton and
Scranton Preparatory School.
Ciszek HallBuilt in 1988 as the Center for Eastern Christian Studies, Ciszek Hall
was dedicated in 2005 to the memory of Fr. Walter Ciszek, S.J., a
native of northeastern Pennsylvania and a candidate for sainthood. Fr.
Ciszek spent 23 years in Soviet prisons and the labor camps of Siberia.
The chapel in Ciszek Hall hosts services held in the Byzantine rite.
Chapel of the Sacred HeartChapel of the Sacred Heart, a beautifully renovated building of the former Scranton Estate, is a place for quiet reflection and daily Mass.
Claver HallClaver Hall is named after St. Peter Claver, S.J.
(1580-1654), a Spanish Jesuit who ministered to the needs of African
slaves in Central and South America. He was canonized in 1888, the same
year that St. Thomas College, forebear of The University of Scranton,
was founded. Claver Hall is an administrative building, housing the
Physical Plant and Purchasing departments.
Dorothy Day HouseA residence hall acquired in 1999, Dorothy Day house is named
in memory of journalist-turned social activist Dorothy Day. A devout
Catholic and founder of the Catholic Worker Movement, she is remembered
for her social justice campaigns in defense of the poor and the
Fitzpatrick FieldFitzpatrick Field is the University’s main outdoor athletic
facility and home to our soccer, field hockey and lacrosse teams. Prior
to his death in 1987, Rev. John J. Fitzpatrick, S.J., served the
University for 22 years in various roles that included dean of men,
Jesuit minister and student counselor. A dedicated fan of Royal
athletics, “Fr. Fitz” served as a faithful chaplain to athletics teams
for many years.
Fr. Gallery HouseFr. Gallery House is named after Rev.
Eugene Gallery, S.J., The University of Scranton’s second Jesuit
president. A previous building named in his honor was razed to form
Founder’s Green in front of Brennan Hall and the McDade Center for
Literary and Performing Arts. Fr. Gallery House provides offices for
the Residence Life department.
Galvin TerraceGalvin Terrace, a beautifully landscaped outdoor patio
adjacent to the Weinberg Library, is dedicated to the honor of Rev.
Aloysius Galvin, S.J., who was president of the University from 1965 to
Gannon HallGannon Hall was named after Rev. Edward Gannon, S.J., who
died in 1986. Founder of the Special Jesuit Liberal Arts Program, he
was the first to earn the title “University Professor,” allowing him to
teach in any department. The residence hall was built in 1991.
Gonzaga HouseGonzaga House, a student residence, is named for St. Aloysius
Gonzaga, the patron of Catholic youth. Born to a noble Italian family
in 1568, he entered the Jesuit novitiate at age 14. There he
distinguished himself as an excellent student of philosophy and
theology. Though in delicate health, he devoted himself to the care of
the sick, and as a result fell ill and died in 1591.
Hafey HallHafey Hall is named after Bishop William Hafey, the fourth
Bishop of Scranton who was responsible for transferring the
administration of The University of Scranton from the Chris¬tian
Brothers to the Jesuits in 1942.
Hannon HallHannon Hall was built in 1958 as part of a quad of four
residence halls that also include Lynett, Denis Edward and Hafey. It is
named after Bishop Hannan, the fifth Bishop of Scranton, and a
celebrated professor at The Catholic University of America.
The Long CenterThe Long Center commemorates Rev. John J. Long, S.J.,
president of the University from 1953 to 1963. Fr. Long’s tenure was
marked by remarkable growth in the University’s facilities. The Long
Center was dedicated in 1967 and is the primary indoor athletic
facility for interscholastic collegiate events. Its spectator seating
capacity is 4,500, and the building includes weight rooms, lockers and
gymnasium facilities. The 10,000-sq.-ft. Exercise Science facilities
were added in 2001.
Loyola Hall and MetanoiaLoyola Hall and Metanoia
are named in honor of St. Ignatius Loyola. Loyola Hall is the
University’s science center and home to the highly successful pre-med
program. The Metanoia (Transformation) sculpture is located at the center of the campus where the Royal Way and the University Commons intersect. This large
sculpture, surrounded by the Centennial Fountain, depicts Ignatius
surrendering his soldier’s sword at Montserrat. This significant event
marked the beginning of his new life as a “soldier for Christ.” The
base of the sculp¬ture, like all the cornerstones of those buildings
erected under the Jesuits, contains the Latin motto of St. Ignatius and
the Society of Jesus, Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam – “All for the greater
glory of God.”
Madonna della Strada ChapelMadonna della Strada Chapel,
the University’s principal worship site, is named in honor of the
Marian image of “Our Lady of the Way.” This image of the Virgin Mary
holding the Christ Child was greatly loved by St. Ignatius Loyola, his
early companions and Jesuits today. The image originally adorned the
sanctuary in the first chapel of St. Ignatius and his Jesuit
companions. Today, the image is enshrined in the round chapel of the
Gesù, the Mother Church of the Jesuits in Rome.
McCormick HallMcCormick Hall is a residence hall named after Bishop James
Carroll McCormick who served the Scranton Diocese for 17 years
beginning in 1966. McCormick Hall was constructed with Gannon and Lavis
Halls, all of which were dedicated in 1991.
The Rev. Bernard R. McIlhenny BallroomThe Rev. Bernard R. McIlhenny Ballroom, dedicated in the fall
of 2009, is ballroom in the Patrick & Margaret DeNaples Center. It
is named in honor of Rev. Bernard McIlhenny, S.J., who served as dean
of admissions at The University from 1966 to 1997. He is currently dean
of admissions emeritus at the University and minister of the Jesuit
Community at Scranton.
McKenna HouseMcKenna House, a student residence, is named for Rev. Horrace
McKenna, S.J. Born in 1899, Fr. McKenna is known as the “prophet for
the poor.” He was a member of the Maryland Province Jesuits, the
province that administers The University of Scranton. Fr. McKenna
worked tirelessly throughout southern Maryland and Washington, D.C., to
serve the needs of the poor and marginalized. He labored as an activist
for civil rights and aided the movement, which helped to bring about an
end to segregation in Maryland. He died in 1982.
The McShane Executive CenterThe McShane Executive Center, named for Rev. Joseph McShane,
S.J., president of the University from 1998 to 2003, is located on the
fifth floor of Brennan Hall. It features the latest in high-technology
meeting spaces for the entire University and the regional business
Nevils HallNevils Hall was named for Rev. Coleman Nevils, S.J., the
first Jesuit president (1942¬47) of The University of Scranton. The
residence hall was built in 1965. The Panuska College of ProfessionaL
Studies, located in McGurrin Hall, and the Panuska Tower, the bell
tower attached to Redington Hall, are named in honor of Rev. Joseph
Allan Panuska, S.J., president of The University of Scranton from 1982
through 1998. Fr. Panuska’s tenure is the longest in the school’s
history. He led the University through a significant physical expansion
as well as a substantial increase in the number of faculty and an
improvement in the University's reputation for academic excellence.
Peter Faber ChapelThe Peter Faber Chapel is the centerpiece of the University’s
Retreat Center at Chapman Lake, 20 minutes north of Scranton. The
Chapel is named for Bl. Peter Faber who, together with St. Francis
Xavier and St. Ignatius Loyola, served as the nucleus of the Society of
Jesus. Born April 7, 1506, Peter Faber was the first of the companions
to be ordained a priest. The Chapel, which was dedicated on November 8, 2006, accommodates approximately 60 people. It features full-length
windows with resplendent views of Chapman Lake.
Rock HallRock Hall is dedicated to Rev. Joseph A. Rock, S.J. Fr. Rock
served as dean of the Graduate School, dean of the Evening College,
vice president of Development, and academic vice president. He served
at the University from the mid-1950s through his retirement in 1975. A
former Episcopalian church, Rock Hall was acquired in 1983 and houses
Madonna della Strada Chapel.
St. Thomas HallDedicated in 1962, St. Thomas Hall is the namesake of St.
Thomas College, now The University of Scranton. St. Thomas Aquinas is a
13th-century philosopher and theologian, patron of Catholic
universities, colleges and schools. St. Thomas Hall was part of the
first “cornerstone of development.”
Timlin HouseTimlin House is one of four townhouse units at Mulberry
Plaza. Dedicated in August 2002, Timlin House recognizes the lifelong
commitment of Most Reverend James C. Timlin, D.D., eighth Bishop of
Scranton, to the University.