Mission - Departmental Goals
The University of Scranton's Office of Career Services is a department within the Division of Student Affairs which functions as an integral part of the total educational experience of students.
In collaboration with internal and external partnerships, Career Services provides centralized and comprehensive career development, job search, and graduate school application programs and services.
Guided by the principles of Jesuit education, staff members strive to facilitate the process of career choice by helping students and alumni discern a personal sense of meaning and career direction consistent with their unique skills, talents, aspirations, and vision for living.
In support of the division of Student Affairs’ Mission and The University of Scranton’s Vision, The Office of Career Services will:
- Identify career-related employment opportunities for students and alumni. This includes full-time, part-time and summer employment. Identified opportunities are coordinated through the on-campus recruiting function, resume mailings, job fairs, on-line job listing database and job referrals.
- Assist students and alumni in acquiring the skills necessary to access the job market. These skills give students and alumni a competitive edge as they seek employment. Such skills include, but are not limited to, mock interviewing, resume and cover letter preparation, job search techniques, networking by utilizing the Alumni Network database and professional etiquette. This goal is accomplished through individual advising, workshops, classroom presentations, on-line programs and workshops.
- Assist students and alumni in defining and focusing their career direction. Career Services works with students and alumni to identify specific career information and more clearly define what the student or alumni can expect from a particular profession or career. This is accomplished through individual career advising, testing, workshops, follow-up survey data and career resource materials accessible on the office website.
- Provide a systematic approach to service delivery within the department. This involves the use of the latest available technology to enable our staff to deliver services in the most efficient way to students and alumni. This requires maintaining a current knowledge of the applications of this technology in the field of career services.
Student Learning Outcomes:
As a result of students engaging with The Office of Career Services, students will:
- Have the ability to select an appropriate major based on use of the counseling process, interest inventories, career resources and/or internet sources.
- Have the ability to identify career options and develop an individuated plan to follow for career decision making.
- Have the skills to prepare an effective resume, cover letter and/or personal statement.
- Have the ability to prepare for and complete a successful interview.
- Have the ability to identify and utilize jobs resources: College Central Network, on-campus recruiting, networking opportunities, Alumni On-Line network, internships and on-line resources.
- Be able to identify graduate/professional school opportunities and follow through with the application process: personal statements, letters of recommendations and admissions tests.
- Have the ability to acquire practical experience in their field by completing internships, summer jobs or shadowing opportunities.